- Wireless LAN Access
- Network Controller
- Awards & Reviews
- How to Buy?
- Partner Portal
- Become a Reseller
- A & E Program
- Project Registration
- Certification Training
- Demo Program
- Find a Distributor
6 Top Reasons Why You Should be Choosing Wireless over Wired Solutions
The un-tethered nature of wireless products simplifies deploying mobile systems. Real time video streaming to law enforcement vehicles is achieved by deploying subscriber units in vehicles that receive video from fixed base station units. As a result, police vehicles can view real-time video of crime scenes as they drive to the scene.
Video is a bandwidth intensive application and imposes stringent bandwidth requirements. Wireless equipment is available in capacities ranging from several Megabits to Gigabit rates, enabling quick build out of high capacity networks.
Availability of copper and fiber is dependent on the location, making the upgrading of existing wired infrastructure economically impractical in many areas. Wireless, on the other hand, can be deployed virtually anywhere, including over bodies of water, rugged terrain, and remote locations. Wireless networks install in hours or days (instead of weeks or months), eliminating long waiting periods and right-of-way issues associated with trenching for fiber.
"Proxim's solution enabled us to provide performance on par with wired solutions, but at a third of the cost and with much faster deployment times."
– Vancouver Olympics
High-end wireless systems support up to 99.999% availability, enabling virtually non-stop monitoring and surveillance. A wireless system with 99.999% availability has only 5 minutes of downtime in an entire year. In addition, in the event of a failure, wireless devices are easy to be replaced when compared to wired solutions that need to be in many cases completely replaced, when severed.
"We compared a lot of wireless solutions but none were as reliable as Proxim's. They perform well in spite of the extreme interference and severe nLoS conditions. I would strongly recommend Proxim."
– Daniel Miranda, IT Analyst, Serv Imagem.
Due to digging and trenching, fiber based networks cost significantly more than wireless system, often about 5x-10x more. Deploying new broad-band copper networks is as expensive as fiber networks and is impractical for medium to long range deployments. Wireless is not only more cost-effective, but it also provides the added benefit of scalability based on bandwidth requirements.
"This is the 9th wireless video deployment we have executed with Proxim's broadband wireless technology, and each and every time we have been able to save our customers millions on deployment costs over wired infrastructure,"
– Atilgan Yilmaz, General Manager of Corvus.
Flexible and Scalable
In many cases the deployment of wired solutions requires trenching. Not only is it much more expensive, but in scenarios where direct trenching would require tearing down a historic building or trenching through a busy intersection, it quickly becomes unfeasible. Wireless solutions, in contrast, provide unparalleled flexibility.
If the security network uses wireless infrastructure for connectivity, cameras need not be permanently located next to the wired network con¬nection. As necessary, cameras and subscriber units can be moved to a new location and can be reconnected within minutes. Carrier-class wireless solutions are available for even the largest scale deployments, and are available in ruggedized enclosures for deployment in all weather conditions. More economical solutions are also available for smaller, more budget conscious deployments.
Read how wireless solutions addressed the challenge city of Iguaçu to connect cameras even in virtually inaccessible and tough to reach spots.
Why is Proxim the Right Choice for your Video Surveillance Network?
- Comprehensive portfolio comprising of point to point backhauls, point to multipoint solutions that can deliver over 600 Mbps data rates. Microwave backhaul products for gigabit plus data rates.
- Extremely low latency (less than 3 ms), advanced jitter correction algorithm and minimal frame loss to ensure seamless, high definition video streaming from camera to the monitoring stations.
- WORP® QoS, similar to the 802.16 WiMAX QoS ensures delay sensitive video and voice packets arrive with priority by differentiating the various traffic types and also allocates bandwidth based on the type of traffic.
- Asymmetric bandwidth control provides flexible uplink (up to 95% uplink capacity) and downlink options - a must for video surveillance applications that typically have high capacity uplink traffic transmitted from cameras to video servers and monitoring stations.
- Advanced interference mitigation features such as Dynamic channel selection constantly monitor and sense the environment and switch to channels with least interference.
- Advanced error correction mechanisms such as cyclic redundancy checks, forward error correction and buffering plus retransmission to ensure error free video transmission.
- Multicast support with IGMP Snooping forwards multicast traffic to ports that are members of the specific multicast group. Forwarding the traffic only to the destined ports reduces unnecessary load on devices to process packets.
- Provides flexible channel planning with support for unlicensed, licensed 2.4, 5 GHz channel including public safety 4.9 GHz channels.
- High speed mobility - seamless video roaming up to 295 km/h (185 mph) i.e. ensures all devices connected to the mobile radio maintain their IP connections and data stream without creating unnecessary retransmissions or link re-establishments.
- Non-line-of-sight capable, utilizing OFDM and 3x3 MIMO techniques to improve link performance and penetrate through or around obstructions better.
- Long range and extended coverage with high power up to 25.8 dBm transmission power.
- Comprehensive ultra secure solutions with AES-128 for encryption, highly-secure remote management via SSL, SSH and SNMPv3 and Proxim’s Wireless Outdoor Routing Protocol (WORP®), which prevents snooping.
- Features dual gigabit ethernet ports with PoE in/out to power other devices like surveillance cameras and wireless access points.
- With operating temperatures from -40 °C to 60 °C along with IP67 grade enclosures, Proxim solutions work in the harshest of the environment conditions.
- Complete FCAPS solution - easy network management Proxim Vision Network Management System offers a plethora of features ranging from fault management with email alert, maps and color coded link status, inventory management, customizable graphics to device level statistics and diagnostics reports.
- Performance guarantee program-extended service, advanced technical support with 7x24x365 availability & warranties for investment protection.
Securing the Statue of Liberty
- Proxim helps secure the Statue of Liberty National Monument and Liberty Island
- Proxim Wireless delivered high capacity, wide area broadband utilizing WORP® technology to connect the new security systems and the control centers
- The security system involved nearly 160 HD cameras of various types ranging from PTZ cameras to night vision capable cameras.
The City of Iguacu
- The solution had to work in NLOS and high RF interference conditions
- The Proxim network provides high uptime and high bandwidth links via PTP and PtMP deployments connecting the surveillance network to the central surveillance center
- Over 180 Proxim’s Tsunami Multipoint and point-to- point radios to support over 120 bandwidth intensive, speed, thermal and OCR cameras spread across the city
Video Surveillance, Turkey
- By utilizing Proxim’s proven wireless technology powered by WORP, the city of Bordrum saved an estimated $60,000 per month on leased line costs.
- The solution also avoided the high cost (and damage to the historical city) that would have been incurred by trenching for fiber
- Proxim’s radios also enabled the network to be deployed in a matter of months, as opposed to the years it would have taken to deploy the necessary wired telecom infrastructure. With carrier class construction and IP67 rating, this network has been designed to operate for many years.
City of San Jose
- By eliminating the massive process of trenching and cabling, San José City government saves over $10 Million
- Proxim provides wireless links to over 130 traffic signal controllers, dozen LED street lights gateways, and several vehicle speed feedback signs
- Installation time reduced by almost 70% when compared to wire implementations
- Tsunami® MP-10100 Series
- Tsunami® XP-10100 Series
- Tsunami® MP-10100L Series
- Tsunami® MP-10100-CPE
- Tsunami® MP-820 Series
- Tsunami® MP-825-CPE
- Tsunami® MP-835-CPE
- Tsunami® MP-826-CPE
- Tsunami® MP-8160
Reproduction of material from any Proxim pages without written permission is strictly prohibited.